In the News
Trump’s Trade War Tariffs Send Firms to Hong Kong for a Little-Known Legal Loophole (SCMP) - Jan 16
American companies are resorting to the US ‘first sale’ rule to escape from President Trump's trade war tariffs.
China Central Bank Injects Record Net $83 Billion in Open Market Operations (Reuters) - Jan 16
This is the central bank's largest daily net injection via reverse repo operations on record, and was done to maintain “reasonably ample” liquidity in the banking system.
Trade War Delaying Chinese Automaker's US Plans (Macau Daily Times) - Jan 16
Chinese automaker GAC Motor had plans to enter American markets by the end of 2019, but they have been delayed to June of 2020.
Spotlight: Cooperation on Clean Energy Fuels Future of China-Africa Ties (Xinhua Net) - Jan 16
China is committed to promoting its comprehensive strategic cooperative partnership with African countries, fulfilling its promises of energy development.
Huawei’s Reclusive Founder Rejects Spying and Praises Trump (The New York Times) - Jan 15
Huawei Founder Ren Zhengfei denied claims that his company was spying for China, and praised Trump for his tax cuts.
U.S.-China Trade Tension Series Events
- Sino-U.S. Tensions – Wider Implications for Business (Jan 22) - Register NOW!
- A Tipping point in U.S.-China Trade Relations: The view from Charlene Barshefsky (Oct 29) - Highlight
- U.S.-China Trade War on Hold: The View from Washington (Jun 11) - Highlight
- Dialogue with U.S.-China Business Council (May 15, Members Only) - Podcast
- Frank Lavin: Impact of midterm elections on U.S.-China trade relations (Nov 15, 2018)
As the U.S. midterm elections drew to a close, we caught up with former Ambassador and Undersecretary of the Department of Commerce, Frank Lavin, to discuss the election results and the future of U.S.-China trade relations.
- Stephen Roach and Minxin Pei: U.S.-China relations in the era of “coopetition” (Sep 14, 2018)
- On September 7, AmCham HK organized a very timely annual China Conference themed U.S. & China: Shaping the Future of Innovation & Technology. Taking this opportunity, Mr. Robert Grieves, Vice Chairman of AmCham HK sat down with world renowned academics, Prof. Stephen Roach and Prof. Minxin Pei, and to hear their insights on U.S.-China relations in the era of “coopetition.”
- Clear Strategy on Trade From Washington Would Soothe (Aug 23, 2018)
AmCham President Tara Joseph joined Stephen Engle and Doug Krizner on Bloomberg's Daybreak Asia discussed what’s at stake for American businesses in Hong Kong and China where trade negotiations are concerned.
Washington DC Updates
As part of AmCham's five-year strategic plan set out in 2014, we strengthened our advocacy capacity, stepping up the Chamber's Washington DC engagement and highlighting Hong Kong’s strategic role for American and international business in Asia. As our valued Member, you may receive "AmCham HK’s Washington Updates" periodically covering the latest developments on a wide range of important topics.
If you would like to continue receiving U.S.-related advocacy updates, please click here to subscribe (login required, AmCham members only).
You may also be interested in...